COVID-19 coronavirus update: Mint formations remains open for business. Customer orders are being processed without delay. Close

We're here to help

Call us: +44 (0)20 7112 8684

9am to 7pm GMT (Monday - Friday),

Dormant company accounting with confirmation statement filing

If your company is dormant, it can be a huge burden having to meet tax and administrative requirements, especially when you aren’t trading or, therefore, making a profit. We can handle your dormant company’s accounts and file your annual confirmation statement with Companies House. Our team will ensure your company is compliant and meets all legal requirements of filing your dormant accounts until the day you choose to resume trading.

What qualifies as a dormant company?

A company is considered dormant if there hasn’t been a significant number of accounting transactions since its incorporation or the last filing of its accounts. Generally, a company is deemed dormant if it has not traded.

Even when this is the case, you are still obliged to file company accounts within nine months of your accounting reference date in addition to filing a confirmation statement every year. Failing to do either can result in significant penalties.

What is a confirmation statement?

A confirmation statement is often confused with company accounts, typically because the two documents are filed annually and at around the same time. However, the two are completely separate. Company accounts are, as you’d expect, the financial numbers behind your business, outlining your income and expenditure. A confirmation statement, on the other hand, is a record of your business’s structure and what it comprises, including your directors, shareholders, company secretary and any persons of significant control (PSC).

With our dormant company accounting service, we’ll handle both for you, meaning you don’t have to worry about your legal and financial obligations.

What’s included in our dormant company accounts service?

Our dormant company accounting service not only includes filing of your dormant company’s accounts but also confirmation statement filing. We’ll collect all the information we need from you about your accounts and your business as a whole and notify HMRC, file your confirmation statement and submit your dormant company accounts. This ensures that your business stays “active” until you decide to resume trading. If you ever do not file your confirmation statement or notify HMRC, you run the risk of being struck from the register, which can impact your ability to seamlessly resume trading when you are ready.

Please note that our dormant company accounts service is available for companies limited by shares or limited by guarantee.

What details do you need to file my dormant company accounts?

  • Company name
  • Company number
  • Accounting reference date (ARD)
  • Webfiling authentication code
  • Name of one director
  • Copy of the bank statement (if company has bank account)

If you formed your company through Mint formations, we will already have all your details other than your bank statement. We also need confirmation on whether the shares in your company are paid or unpaid. By default, we will enter all shares as paid, but if this is not the case, you should advise us in writing when we contact you before filing your accounts.

Can you help me dissolve my limited company instead?

If you have no intention of resuming trading, it will likely be a better option to dissolve your company. This will relieve you of your obligation to file annual accounts and confirmation statements.

We can help you with the limited company dissolution process by taking care of all the paperwork and filing it on your behalf for a completely hands-off approach.

What is a WebFiling authentication code?

A WebFiling authentication code is a six-digit alphanumeric code issued by Companies House during the registration process. If you have registered your company through Mint Formations, you can access it by logging in to your online company portal. If you formed your company another way and do not know your authentication code, we can request it from Companies House, which will send it to your registered office.

Can I use your dormant company accounting service even if I have not formed my company through Mint Formations?

Yes, we can file your dormant company accounts on your behalf even if you didn’t originally register your company with us. However, we will need all of the information outlined above, such as your WebFiling authentication code, company name and share capital information.

Do you also offer confirmation statement filing services for an actively trading limited company?

Regardless of whether your company is dormant (not trading) or actively trading, you still need to file annual accounts and confirmation statements. We can take care of confirmation statement for your limited company.

When and how do I need to file dormant accounts?

Any company must file accounts every financial year. For a new company, these must be filed within 21 months of the incorporation date or within nine months of the accounting reference date (ARD). For example, a company registered on the 13 January 2019 will have an accounting reference date of 31 January 2020. The deadline for filing the accounts for this company would be 31 October 2020.

What if I don’t file my company accounts on time?

Companies House and HMRC impose strict deadlines by which you should file your accounts and confirmation statement. If you miss these deadlines, you will have to pay a penalty, which gets more considerable the longer you leave it.

What penalties are imposed by companies house for late filing?

For private limited companies, penalties vary depending on how late you file your accounts:

  • Up to 1 month - £150
  • One to three months - £375
  • Three to six months - £750
  • More than six months - £1,500

The penalty is doubled if your accounts are late two years in a row.

Are there any ways to avoid paying a late filing penalty?

The best way to avoid having to pay a late filing penalty is to ensure your accounts are filed on time. At Mint Formations, our experts will handle the entire process for you and ensure your accounts are all filled in correctly and filed on time. You can also opt to:

  • Dissolve the company instead, which will mean you won’t have to file accounts at all
  • Appeal against the penalty. However, your appeal may not be successful.

Get dormant company accounting — £79 +VAT

Dormant company accounting

Want to avoid the burden of filing company accounts and confirmation statements for a business that isn’t actively trading? Let Mint Formations handle it for you and file your accounts on time, helping you to avoid unwanted stress and spending valuable time.

File dormant company accounts for my business now

Have a question?

Call Now: +44 (0) 207 112 8684

5 reasons to choose Mint

  1. No hidden costs (honest pricing)
  2. Prestigious London Address
  3. FREE lifetime customer support
  4. Companies House authorized
  5. Consistent 5-star reviews

You Can Also Order Via Phone

Just call us and speak with our friendly company registration expert. We will complete your order by phone or guide you step by step.

020 7112 8684

Company Formation

Statutory Requirements

Business Essentials

About Us

Company types

Address services

Banking Services

Help & advice

Mint Formations Limited, College House, 2nd Floor, 17 King Edwards Road, London, HA4 7AE

Email: , Phone: +44 (0) 207 112 8684, 9am - 7pm GMT, Monday to Friday

Company Reg. No. 10771070 Vat Registration Nr: 269 1733 76

Register a UK Limited Company | © Copyright. Mint Formations Limited | Authorised by Companies House. Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions