COVID-19 coronavirus update: Mint formations remains open for business. Customer orders are being processed without delay. Close

We're here to help

Call us: +44 (0)20 7112 8684

9am to 7pm GMT (Monday - Friday),

Sole trader registration service

Do you want to register a company as a sole trader but you’re not sure what you need to do? Our sole trader registration packages give you everything you need, and we’ll take care of the whole process, including filling in your paperwork and submitting it to HMRC.

Please note that sole trader registration requires you have a National Insurance (NI) number.

Do you want to reserve a limited company name for future use? Choose our Sole Trader Plus package.

Sole trader package - £29 +VAT

  • Sole trader registration
  • Free consultation with an accountant
  • Free business start-up guide
  • Free marketing guide
  • Limited company name reservation
Order now

Sole trader plus package - £49 +VAT

  • Sole trader registration
  • Free consultation with an accountant
  • Free business start-up guide
  • Free marketing guide
  • Limited company name reservation
Order now

Sole trader package

£ 29 +VAT
Order now

Sole trader plus package

£ 49 +VAT
Order now

Sole trader package

£ 29 +VAT
Order now

Sole trader plus package

£ 49 +VAT
Order now
Sole trader registration Available Available
Free consultation with an accountant Available Available
Free business start-up guide Available Available
Free marketing guide Available Available
Limited company name reservation Not available Available

Frequently asked questions

What is a sole trader?

When you register as a sole trader, you run your own business as an individual and are self-employed. You can keep all your business’ profits after you’ve paid tax on them, but you’re also personally responsible for any losses your business makes. Sole trader registration means you must follow certain rules on running and naming your business.

What are your responsibilities as a sole trader?

As a sole trader, you’ll need to:

  • Keep records of your business’ sales and expenses
  • Send a self-assessment tax return every year
  • Pay income tax on your profits and class 2 and class 4 national insurance — use HMRC’s calculator to help you budget for this
  • Apply for a National Insurance number if you’re moving to the UK to set up a business.

How should I name your sole trader business?

When you register as a sole trader, you can trade under your own name or you can choose another name for your business. You must include your name and business name (if you have one) on official paperwork, such as invoices and letters.

Sole trader names must not:

  • Include the words “limited”, “Ltd”, “limited liability partnership”, “LLP”, “public limited company” or “plc”
  • Be offensive
  • Be the same as an existing trademark
  • Contain a “sensitive” word or expression or suggest a connection with government or local authorities unless you get permission

What is the difference between a sole trader and a limited company?

There are various differences between operating as a sole trader and running a limited company, and the one that will be best suited to you will depend on how you plan to run your business and how quickly you want to grow. Our blog post outlines the differences between a sole trader and limited company , along with the advantages and disadvantages of each.

As a sole trader, can I register for VAT?

Yes. After you register as a sole trader, you must register for VAT if your turnover exceeds £85,000 per year. You can register voluntarily if it suits your business; for example, if you sell to other VAT-registered businesses and want to reclaim VAT. We can help you register for VAT online for just £49 +VAT.

What do I receive from HMRC when I register as a sole trader?

When you buy our sole trader registration package, we will register you as self-employed with HMRC. The HMRC will then send you your Unique Tax Reference (UTR).

How long does sole trader registration take?

Filling in our simple online application form takes just minutes, but it can take approximately four to six weeks for you to receive your UTR from HMRC.

Can I start trading before I receive my UTR?

Yes, you can, but you must complete your sole trader registration within three months of the date you started trading. This effectively allows you to start trading as soon as you submit your application, allowing you to hit the ground running while knowing that your company formation admin is all taken care of by us.

Are there any annual fees?

There is no annual fee for our Sole Trader Registration package. For our Sole Trader Plus package, there is an annual fee of £49 +VAT, which includes the preparation and filing of your confirmation statement and annual accounts. This will ensure your company name continues to be reserved.

Need a helping hand?

Speak to our friendly company registration and business expert. We will handle everything for you. Call now.

+44 (0)20 7112 8684

Company Formation

Statutory Requirements

Business Essentials

About Us

Company types

Address services

Banking services

Help & advice

Mint Formations Limited, College House, 2nd Floor, 17 King Edwards Road, London, HA4 7AE

Email: , Phone: +44 (0) 207 112 8684, 9am - 7pm GMT, Monday to Friday

Company Reg. No. 10771070 Vat Registration Nr: 269 1733 76

© Copyright. Mint Formations Limited. Privacy policy | Terms & conditions