This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn more

I agree

Call us: 020 7112 8684

Email: support@mintformations.co.uk

Sole trader registration service

Do you want to register as a sole trader but not sure what you need to do?

Once you register a company name and you’re all set to register as a sole trader, we can help with our comprehensive sole trader registration packages. We will take care of everything; all you need to do is to complete a simple form and return it back to us, and we will take care of the rest. Please note that sole trader registration requires you to have a National Insurance (NI) number.

Do you want to reserve a limited company name for future use? Choose our sole trader plus package.

Sole trader package

£ 29 +VAT
Order now

Sole trader plus package

£ 49 +VAT
Order now

Sole trader package

£ 29 +VAT
Order now

Sole trader plus package

£ 49 +VAT
Order now
Sole trader registration Available Available
Free consultation with an accountant Available Available
Free business start-up guide Available Available
Free marketing guide Available Available
Free business telephone number Available Available
Ltd company name reservation Not available Available

Frequently asked questions

What is a sole trader?

When you register as a sole trader, you run your own business as an individual and are self-employed. You can keep all your business’ profits after you’ve paid tax on them, but you’re also personally responsible for any losses your business makes. Sole trader registration means you must follow certain rules on running and naming your business.

What are your responsibilities as a sole trader?

You’ll need to:

  • Keep records of your business’ sales and expenses
  • Send a self-assessment tax return every year
  • Pay income tax on your profits and class 2 and class 4 national insurance — use HMRC’s calculator to help you budget for this
  • You’ll need to apply for a National Insurance number if you’re moving to the UK to set up a business.

How to name your sole trader business?

When you register as a sole trader, you can trade under your own name or you can choose another name for your business. You must include your name and business name (if you have one) on official paperwork, such as invoices and letters.

Sole trader names must not:

  • Include the words “limited”, “Ltd”, “limited liability partnership”, “LLP”, “public limited company” or “plc”
  • Be offensive
  • Be the same as an existing trademark
  • Contain a “sensitive” word or expression, or suggest a connection with government or local authorities unless you get permission.

What is the difference between a sole trader and a limited company?

Please read our blog article outlining the difference between a sole trader and limited company, along with the advantages and disadvantages of both.

As a sole trader can I register for VAT?

Yes. After you register as a sole trader, you must register for VAT if your turnover is over £85,000 per year. You can register voluntarily if it suits your business, for example, if you sell to other VAT registered businesses and want to reclaim the VAT. We can help with your VAT registration online for just £49 +VAT.

What do I receive from HMRC when I register as a sole trader?

When you buy our sole trader registration package, we will register you as self-employed with HMRC. The HMRC will send you your Unique Tax Reference (UTR).

How long does sole trader registration take?

To register as a sole trader, it will take approximately four to six weeks (from the day of application) for you to receive your UTR number from HMRC.

Can I start trading before I receive my UTR?

Yes, you can, but you must complete your sole trader registration within three months of trading.

Are there any annual fees?

There is no annual fee for a sole trader registration package. For the “sole trader plus package”, there is an annual fee of £49 +VAT, which includes the preparation and filing of confirmation statement and annual accounts. This will ensure the company name is reserved for one more year.

Any questions? Give us a call and we will be delighted to help...

+44 (0) 207 112 8684

Mint Formations Limited, College House, 2nd Floor, 17 King Edwards Road, London, HA4 7AE

Company Reg. No. 10771070 Vat Registration Nr: 269 1733 76

© Copyright. Mint Formations Limited

Email: support@mintformations.co.uk

Phone: +44 (0) 207 112 8684

9AM - 6PM, Monday to Friday